The software module ties back to Employees, Workstations and Servers as well as Incidents that can be referenced. The vendor source is independent, so you don’t have to create a full vendor for each software currently. This might change in the future, though.
Each Software entry has a checkbox for validated, in case this software is validated with your quality department. On the other hand, there might be software that was put in a validation exclusion, you can indicate this with the validation exception checkbox. This way you can filter for either and make sure all software is either validated or on the exclusion list as well. It also helps users to quickly identify if a certain software was validated.
Under each software entry, you can add licenses. The total amount of added licenses will be shown in the search list-box / table as a total. You further can document license keys and serial numbers here, as well as select documents you want to link. Linked files can be somewhere on the network, you just select a file, and you can use the open button to open the file with your default Windows application. It is recommended to define a central spot for such documents, so all users have access to it.
Maintenance contracts for software should be entered and tracked in the Expenses module.
Data field and reference overview
- this is not directly referenced to the vendors table – this list is independent
- might change in future versions
- Software name
- Valuation Exemption
- Licenses sub-table
- Serial Number and License Key
- License type (e.g., pdf / email / hard copy / internet portal)
- File/Document – select a license document on the file system to link it here
- Notes / Details
- physical media is often stored in totes or specific locations – this is a numeric field and allows to indicate where it can be found
- Unit Cost – per unit
- Quantity – calculates the total cost of the license
- Total cost – auto calculated
- Purchase date / PO and Ticket reference
- buttons allow to open the PO or the reference Ticket website, if available
- Referenced Employees, Servers and Workstations
- Record History information